Sunday, April 8, 2012

THE STORY OF A MALE FEMINIST. - By Zoneziwoh Mbondgulo


Mr. Nzume Mathias is an exception among men. In a place where patriarchy rules, he is an advocate for gender equality and women’s rights. Mr. Nzume is a Cameroonian, married and a father of five; three girls and two boys. Driven by his personal experiences and agony, alongside his mothers; Mr. Nzume knows first-hand the abuses of human rights that take place in Cameroon, and most especially his village in Bakossi – an ethic group in the South West Region of Cameroon.



“My life had a depression somewhere” said Mr. Nzume, a former secondary school teacher, now Chief of Service for the Family Wellbeing at the Ministry of Women’s Empowerment and the Family (MINWEF), South West Regional Delegation - Buea, Cameroon.

“I grew up as an orphan, yet my parents were alive” Nzume says. As an orphan , he says – his biological father never recognized him as his child - He would always refer to me as the son of his late brother. A man who was not my biological dad” he said.Mr. Nzume’s situation made him to become an advocate so as to bring change – a means that would end all injustice especially against women, widows and orphans. A situation he says is not the victims making but of fate.

“It was a cruel experience and emotionally distressful”. He said. The struggles for an identity led him to discover 2 foreign radio stations; BBC and Voice of America - a transformative experience. He remains a keen listener of the two radio stations till date. This, he said, were one of the reasons to why he is an ardent women human rights defender.

“It all started sometimes in the early 80s”. He recollects. “I came across the radio stations: BBC and Voice of America. They had this gender hour program which drew my attention. Though, I was ignorant about the classical gender concepts; its legal instruments, principles and practices - listening to BBC/VoA enlightened me. So much such that during my under graduate degree, I chose to study a double major BSc: Law and Gender studies in the University of Buea”.
His interest in Gender studies was to have a good insight on women issues particularly traditional norms and women’s position in culture. And the Law aspect was to articulate gender concerns from a legal perspective and also using this platform to intervene in to women’s plight.

After completion of his Bachelor around mid-90s, he returned to his usual classroom teaching and in 2008, he was offered the position to head the Service for Family Wellbeing as Chief of Service in Ministry of Women’s Empowerment, South West Regional Delegation (MINWEF), a newly created department in MINWEF. As head (chief) of service for the Family Wellbeing MINWEF, his main responsibility is to resolve family conflicts, improve family wellbeing and give assistance to voluntary persons interested in making family wellbeing a social concern. Mr. Ediage, a professional architect once shared his personal encounters with Mr. Nzume: “For almost 5 years, after my dad passed away I never said a word to my mother. My mother and I were never in good terms. We never crisscross path. My life was traumatized. I was depressed. And today, thanks to Mr. Nzume’s one-on-one counseling and dialogue sessions, my mom and I are able to exchange words”.

Ms. Melanie, a professional hairstylist also said, “Mr. Nzume inspires me a lot. He took his time to look at my problem. He never rushed me. At anytime, anywhere, he is always ready to give advice and help bring peace between me and my parents”. Throughout the period of 2008 – 2011, before the newly 25000 young government recruit, Mr. Nzume was the only male worker in the entire MINWEF- Buea, as well as the first man to hold the position as Chief of Service for Family well being.Since granted this opportunity, he has managed over 600 cases of violence against women (ranging from rape [marital], domestic violence, sexual abuse), resolving of family dispute. Under his leadership, he has organized an annual mass [grouped] marriages which is celebrated [takes place] every May 15 at the delegation center in Buea. The first mass wedding occurred in 2009 with 51 couples jointly married, in 2010, it was 49 and last year it was 51.Mr. Nzume believes that change is happening and women human rights are gradually been respected. However, he said – there is need for more comprehensive laws to fully advance women status in Cameroon; especially in the light of marriage, widowhood and sexual and reproductive health.

In addition he says – “both men and women must become partners to the attainment of women’s human rights’.

And to conclude, soon to hit the bookshelves across Cameroon is Mr. Nzume’s book titled “The Tears of the Female One” where he shares his personal and professional experience; an in-depth insight on how society views women; the way forward for a better society for all.


Zoneziwoh Mbondgulo is the coordinator of W30 (Women Under 30) group

W30 is made up of young African women across the continent who are passionate about change.

She blogs at zofem.blogspot.com and www.zoneziwohshow.com

1 comment:

  1. I have been suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) for the last four years and had constant outbreaks and pains. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday, and i was taking treatments and meds from my doctor. I was taking accyclovir alongside some ointment. I spent so much on meds but the blisters still return after some months. It was early this year, i was using the Internet to see if i could gather any information to get rid of this virus once and for all, using natural herbs. Then i came across a testimony of a woman who was healed from diabetes and Cancer of the breast by one Herbal Dr.yakubu. I copied the email address of the doctor after her testimony. So I sent a message to Dr.yakubu telling him about my Herpes Virus. he told me not to worry that as long as I will make use of the herbs as directed, with God, I will soon testify. I thought he was bluffing. So we got talking and he asked me some questions. He prepared and sent me some herbs in 70ml bottles and ointment, then he guided me on how to use them. In less than 2 months of usage, i was totally healed. The blisters disappeared and the pains gone too. I went for a test and the result was Negative. I had to use a different hospital and the result was same. Since over nine months now, I am Herpes Free.... Please my advise is this, if you have similar sickness or any other sickness at all, Please do not forget to reach out to Dr.yakubu on : (dr.yakubuherbalhealingclinic@gmail.com). you can also reach the doctor on whatsapp +2348057353647

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...